Sunday, October 09, 2011

Better late than never...

I'm just going to begin as if it hasn't been almost two years since I last updated this blog.  One of the many intentions I had for this past summer was to make at least one new (to me) recipe each week, and post the recipe and picture.  I began well enough by making the new recipes.  I even remembered to take photos of some of them.  The blogging part, however, did not go so well.  So, while I may post the "new" recipes that I made at a later time, I will start today with the recipe I made for dinner this evening.

Why haven't I ever had winter squash?  Perhaps because it all looks a little scary.  Orange, and yellow, and green colors, bumpy and odd shaped...let's face it, they're used for decor around Halloween for a reason.  But I have turned a corner!  I receive a daily recipe email from AllRecipes.com, and a few days ago the recipe was for Butternut Squash Soup.  My friend, Rachel, had just cooked a delicious Pumpkin soup for a dinner party, and I was intrigued.  Here is the recipe with my adjustments in parentheses:

Ingredients

6 Tbs chopped onion
4 Tbs margarine (salted butter)
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (2 - 2.5 lb butternut squash, halved)
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp dried marjoram (1/2 tsp thyme)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp paprika)
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (1 (8 ounce) package)

Directions

1.  In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender.  Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
(I first roasted the butternut squash by placing the halves face down on a cookie sheet, and baking at 375 for 40 minutes.  Meanwhile, I sauteed the onions in butter until tender, then added the water, bouillon, thyme, black pepper and paprika.  I brought it to a boil, and cooked until the bouillon was completely dissolved.)
2.  Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.  Return to saucepan, and heat through.  Do not allow to boil.
(After roasting the squash, I removed it from its peel by scooping with a spoon.  Pureed the squash and cream cheese in my Pampered Chef manual food processor. Finally I added the squash puree to the pan and cooked, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.)

I served the soup with bread and a ham sandwich.  Dave and Jack both loved it, and I found the taste to be just what I was hoping for.  I pureed the squash and cream cheese in 4 batches, next time I will try to get it done in 2.  I had to stir the final mixture quite a bit to get rid of the lumps.  It was relatively easy, although I always tend to make a bigger mess the first time I make a recipe.  This is one I'll definitely make again, and I'm excited about the whole new world of winter squash that has opened up to me!

1 comment:

KillYourParents said...

MMM I LOVE SOUP