Friday, October 21, 2011

Artisan Bread

At a recent Pampered Chef meeting, someone made this delicious bread in the Deep Covered Baker.  The recipe was easy enough, it just needed time and planning.  For my first attempt at making bread, this is the recipe:

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose or bead flour, more for dusting (I used all-purpose flour, thanks Bri;))
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups tap water

Directions:
1.  In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt.  Add 1 1/2 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap.  Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably 18, at room temperature.
2.  Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.  Liberally flour a pastry mat (I used a flexible cutting mat), and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times.  Place on parchment paper and place in the deep covered baker with lid on to rise for 2 hours.   (I covered the dough by placing plastic wrap over the top)  

**Here the recipe has changed, the original recipe called to preheat the Deep Covered Baker, the Home Office says not to do this, and that the warranty would be voided if the the baker broke while making the bread, I preheated the baker at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, dumped the bread dough in, and baked covered for 30 minutes.  Then I uncovered the baker, and baked another 8 minutes until the bread was golden brown.**

3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the filled Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. 

It was very good, especially warm.  I think I may have folded it over itself too many times, it wasn't as "airy" as the bread I'd sampled at the meeting.  Next time I'll follow the new recipe, and only fold it over 3 or 4 times!

2 comments:

❤Spark❤ said...

Hey Jamie!

Cool Recipes..as a cheff in the making (hehe), I'm totaly following your blog :)

Check out my page: I like Cosmic stuff. Hope you'll like the content :)

*Spark

Anonymous said...

I don't preheat the baker.
I just put it in the oven with the dough in it while the oven is preheating. I think it helps raise the bread more.
I used 1/2 buttermilk and 1/2 water with 1tsp yeast better tasting bread