Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's been a crappy new year

I don't know how to write this post...but I feel like I can't post anything else until I do, so, here goes.  I was so excited for Christmas this year, Jack's first and my parents were coming back out.  Not to mention the two full weeks I could spend with Jack.  On the Monday morning before Christmas my mom woke me up with a
 phone call.  My grandma had had a stroke the night before.  They were supposed to have their family Christmas party, but it was cancelled because of weather.  I couldn't believe it, it didn't seem real.  She survived and was breathing on her own and even communicating in small ways.  On Friday they had to decide whether or not to put a feeding tube in.  The doctors said she would never speak, eat, or be able to take care of herself, so the decision was made to let her go.  She lived on for 10 days and passed away on Sunday, January 4.  We were very close and it was hard for me not to be there, even though it was very hard on the people who were there.

I went back to work for a week plus I had to take a writing class on Saturday.  On Monday I had a class after work too, and didn't get home until 7:30.  I was exhausted, but Dave, who was home all day with Jack, looked worse.  He said Bishop bit someone, again.  The guy who lives above us was going up to his place while Dave, Jack, and the dogs were going down.  The guy waved Dave on, Dave said, "They're going to bark and get aggressive," the guy told him it was okay because he worked at a kennel.  Dave passed him and the guy stuck his hand out for the dogs to smell.  In Bishop's world this means "I'm going attack you" so he bit the guy.  Dave apologized and the guy just scampered up to his apartment.  We've been worried about how Bishop would be around Jack, and so far he's been fine.  After two bites in 3 months, we couldn't ignore our concerns anymore.  

We had a hard decision to make, and Dave was strong enough to make us make that decision.  We didn't feel comfortable asking friends to take him, it's a big commitment and Bishop has special needs.  We thought about a shelter.  When we boarded Bishop, he barked and growled at all the handlers and wouldn't come out of his cage.  They would never find Bishop a new home, he wouldn't let them.  So they would end up putting him down.  We didn't want him to be scared for weeks and then be put down, alone.  We decided we needed to put him down so we could be there with him.  Thankfully, when Dave told Dan what happened, Dan said he would take Bishop.  Then he discussed it with Zac and Teresa and they thought they would take him.  They have a house and a backyard and Daisy, who Bishop gets along with (when she stops licking him long enough for him to think about it).  It's been a really hard week.  Thank God we didn't have to put him down.  But, he's still not our dog anymore.  We miss him, Hudsy misses him.  We know he'll be happy, and Jack will be safe, but we're all so sad too.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I cried when I read what you have been through the last few weeks. I'm sorry so much has happened in such a short time. It's a lot to deal with. Such hard decisions and so much emotion. I'm glad you have Dave to be there and comfort you.

Jaime said...

Thanks Bri, Jack's a great help too! I'm sorry we won't be seeing in a couple weeks, but we are so looking forward to coming home!

chooiegoos said...

we are sorry to hear about what's been going on. please know that we are here for you guys anytime you need us.

The Holwerda Family said...

I'm sorry for your loss Jaime. I hope that things get easier for you very soon.

Ted Torreson said...

I'm sorry for you loss. That's a lot to go through especially in such a short amount of time. I'll be praying for you guys.