Saturday, January 28, 2012

DIY Pancakes

One thing that I've learned from working "inside" the home is that I can rely on myself to do much more than I ever thought. It may sound minor, but during this time I stripped, cleaned, and painted two bedrooms, took apart and attempted to repair the dishwasher (nevermind that my attempt was unsuccessful...the point here is that I tried), constructed many a bookshelf, bench, and table, started a business, and made a wreath from scratch, among completing various other home maintenance. A small and perhaps logical step, you may be thinking, but an eye-opener for me. When you've got lots of time and little money you start to learn all sorts of new ways to be self-reliant.

So this morning, when I woke up with a hankering for pancakes I thought, "I don't need you and your fancy mix, Bisquick, I have myself and Allrecipes.com!" And some flour...and an egg...and...oh, just read the recipe I used this morning!



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup shortening, melted

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and shortening; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Pour batter by 1/4 cupful onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until the second side is golden brown.

They were, in fact, fluffy and very good. I had never melted shortening before, so I just nuked it for 30 seconds, checked it, then for another 30 seconds. Once melted, it looked just like cooking oil. Once I added the egg and milk to it it started to harden again so I worked quickly to combine the wet mixture then add it to the dry ingredients. Dave and Jack loved them!

No comments: